The History of Scroggins Mill
Soon after the railroad reached Lebanon, a large grain warehouse was built on railroad property along the tracks near the Lebanon depot. The mill was built in 1881, as a cooperative for farmers to store their grain etc., and was owned by a group of farmers. John Settle had 4/5 ownership by 1882 and then purchased the mill from the cooperative in 1883.
Suttle Lake is named after John Settle and then misspelled later on all the maps etc. Mr. Settle discovered the lake while laying out the Willamette Valley and Cascade Wagon road to central Oregon.
Known as the Lebanon Warehouse, the mill had a capacity of 60,000 bushels. Later it was leased and used for many years by Ralph Scroggin, and hence became known as Scoggins Mill. During this time, in the latter part of the 19th century and early 20th century, the Lebanon economy relied on the main crops of oats and wheat.
This building is in remarkable condition. It is an outstanding example of timber-frame construction as practiced at that time. Hand-hewn beams of 13.5 X 17.5 inches support the main floor, with grain bins on the second floor accessible only by cat walk.
The newer portion of the building was found to house two fully intact refrigerator ice cars dating from 1912 and 1913 respectively.
Today we see the need for wheat to grace our farms again. Our hope to restore this building is great in the wake of so many of our heritage properties vanishing, leaving the bustling history to only the imagination.